Deadline: Thursday, April 19, 6 p.m.
STONY BROOK (March 12, 2018) — The Martin Buskin Awards for Campus Journalism, which honors outstanding efforts of student journalists at Stony Brook University, is now open for submissions.
The awards, named in honor of the late education editor of Newsday and adjunct professor of journalism at Stony Brook, are presented annually to student journalists whose work demonstrates a commitment to excellence through leadership in campus journalism, outstanding work and/or impact on the Stony Brook community.
There is one overall Buskin Award that comes with a $500 prize. It is open to juniors and seniors who have earned at least 57 credits and are in good academic standing. A Cub Journalist of the Year award comes with a $100 prize. Both awards are presented at the annual School of Journalism Majors’ Banquet in May.
- A nominating letter — on letterhead — from any member of the university describing the candidate’s journalistic experience, accomplishments and impact on the university.
- A personal statement of no more than 750 words describing the candidate’s interest in journalism and the impact of his or her work.
- A resume outlining the candidate’s major, activities, accomplishments and career aspirations. It must include the student’s name, local address, telephone, e-mail address and ID number.
- Samples of work as described below. The award primarily is based on outstanding performance in campus journalism. Candidates are encouraged to submit samples of work done elsewhere, as in an internship, to demonstrate their commitment to journalism. Emphasis will be given to work done in the last three semesters.
- Descriptions of work, as stipulated below, must be included in one document and uploaded via the online submission form.
Fill out one entry form for your work in one or a combination of the categories listed below.
ARTICLES – Examples include written stories, blog posts, or other creative uses of writing in the online medium. For printed work, you may also upload a .pdf to show how a story appeared.
VIDEO JOURNALISM – Submit links to pieces as they have appeared in broadcast or online that show excellence and creativity in use of that medium. The student journalist’s name must appear in the pieces. Include a description of your role in preparing the piece. The links must be working at least through May. In the case of long-form broadcast pieces, submit links to edited versions of no more than 20 minutes accompanied by a written description of the entire program and your role in it.
AUDIO JOURNALISM – Submit links to examples of audio journalism as they have appeared in broadcast or online that exhibit excellence and creativity in your use of sound to tell a story. The student journalist’s name must be included in the pieces. Include a description of your role in preparing the piece. The links and URLs must be working at least through May.
NEWS PHOTOGRAPHY – Submit links to your published photographs. The links must be working at least through May.
GRAPHICS/ILLUSTRATIONS – This includes editorial cartoons, illustrations, charts, maps or visuals that present information or a point of view with excellence and creativity. Submit links. The links must be working at least through May.
LEADERSHIP – In two single-spaced pages or less, describe your editorial policies, activities and impact as an editor, news director or producer. Submit examples that demonstrate excellence and creativity. For each, include a description of your role or input. This not only includes editing and story selection, but also innovation, teaching, supervision and direction. In addition to the submission methods described in other categories, you may submit screenshots of the Website or package along with the links.
Martin Buskin Cub Journalist of the Year Award
The Buskin Committee for Campus Journalism also recognizes the contributions of freshmen and sophomores, who are not eligible for the overall Martin Buskin Award for Campus Journalism, with its Martin Buskin Cub Journalist of the Year Award. The criteria and deadline are the same as above.